Eorror

Nov 14, 2012 at 11:19 AM

Hello,

I have a two node failover cluster, If i specify some of my vms with the -l switch i can back them up. however two of the vm's throw this error.

Error: The volume does not support the requested operation, or no provider supports it.   at Alphaleonis.Win32.Vss.VssBackupComponents.AddToSnapshotSet(String volumeName, Guid providerId)   at Cloudbase.Titan.HyperV.Backup.BackupManager.BackupSubset(IDictionary`2 vmNamesMapSubset, String backupOutputPath, String backupOutputFormat) in c:\Devel\HyperVBackup\HyperVBackup\BackupManager.cs:line 152   at Cloudbase.Titan.HyperV.Backup.BackupManager.VSSBackup(IEnumerable`1 vmNames, VMNameType nameType, String backupOutputPath, String backupOutputFormat, Boolean singleSnapshot) in c:\Devel\HyperVBackup\HyperVBackup\BackupManager.cs:line 87   at Cloudbase.Titan.HyperV.Backup.CLI.Program.Main(String[] args) in c:\Devel\HyperVBackup\HyperVBackupApp\Program.cs:line 131

they are all on the same CSV but some reason one of them will not backup. Ideas?

Coordinator
Nov 14, 2012 at 11:41 AM

Some troubleshooting ideas:

Do you have physical disks attached to the VMs or only VHDs?

Do you know if there's some particular VSS provider installed on the guest?

What services are you running on those VMs (e.g. SQL Server, Exchange, etc)? 

Nov 14, 2012 at 6:59 PM

Hello Alexp,

Thank you for the responce.

The Vm in Question is a 2008R2 with Exchange 2010 on a Host 2012 Hyper-V

No additional VHD's or Physical disks.

Some more information:

Originally all my Vm's where on 2008R2 Hyper-v but I upgraded to Server 2012. The VM im having issues with is the only VM that I upgraded the integration tools on. could that have caused an issue?

Nov 29, 2012 at 1:46 PM

Hello!I run
C: \ HVBackup \ HVBackup.exe-a-o C: \ HVBackup \

and I get the error

Cloudbase HyperVBackup 1.0 beta1Copyright (C) 2012 Cloudbase Solutions Srlhttp://www.cloudbasesolutions.com
Backing up all VMs on this serverInitializing VSSError: The provider returned an unexpected error code.    at Alphaleonis.Win32.Vss.VssBackupComponents.AddToSnapshotSet (String volumeName, Guid providerId)    at Cloudbase.Titan.HyperV.Backup.BackupManager.BackupSubset (IDictionary `2 vmNamesMapSubset, String backupOutputPath, String backupOutputFormat) in c: \ Devel \ HyperVBackup \ HyperVBackup \ BackupManager.cs: line 152    at Cloudbase.Titan.HyperV.Backup.BackupManager.VSSBackup (IEnumerable `1 vmNames, VMNameType nameType, String backupOutputPath, String backupOutputFormat, Boolean singleSnapshot) in c: \ Devel \ HyperVBackup \ HyperVBackup \ BackupManager.cs: line87    at Cloudbase.Titan.HyperV.Backup.CLI.Program.Main (String [] args) in c: \ Devel \HyperVBackup \ HyperVBackupApp \ Program.cs: line 131

Server Win2008 R2 What to do?