Restore

Apr 22, 2012 at 9:12 AM

How can I do a restore, based on a zip file?

I assume I need to unpack the .zip, but then what? I tried all possibilities with the Import VM thing from HyperV, but can't get it to work..

Besides the above: Great job!

Coordinator
Apr 22, 2012 at 12:46 PM

Hi,

for the moment, until the recovery option will be integrated in the tool, just stop the VM that you want to recover and replace all the VM files with the ones that you find in the zip file.

If you want to create a new VM from a backup, you can start by creating a new VM with the same resources (RAM, ethernet adapters, CPU, etc) and assign the VHD(s) that you can find in the backup zip file (considering also any snapshot and parent disk that you might have).   

Alessandro

Apr 22, 2012 at 2:03 PM
Restoring an existing one might work like this, but creating a new VM from a backup, means that hardware id's can change (ethernet mac addresses, etc)

On Sun, Apr 22, 2012 at 1:46 PM, alexp <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Hi,

for the moment, until the recovery option will be integrated in the tool, just stop the VM that you want to recover and replace all the VM files with the ones that you find in the zip file.

If you want to create a new VM from a backup, you can start by creating a new VM with the same resources (RAM, ethernet adapters, CPU, etc) and assign the VHD(s) that you can find in the backup zip file (considering also any snapshot and parent disk that you might have).

Alessandro

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (hypervbackup@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email hypervbackup@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com

Coordinator
Apr 22, 2012 at 2:15 PM
mterwoord wrote:
Restoring an existing one might work like this, but creating a new VM from a backup, means that hardware id's can change (ethernet mac addresses, etc)

Absolutely. You can fine tune the VM by setting manually MAC addresses (if not dynamic) etc copied from the source. Virtual PCI addresses will also change, but the PnP features of the OS will handle that.

The Mac address is anyway a particular case, as we definitely don't want to risk having 2 running guests with the same MAC address. Think about VMWare's "copy it / move it" question for a possible way that we might decide to undertake to handle it.

As stated before this is only a workaround. I'll release a full restore feature that will take care of managing all the hardware resource Ids automatically during the restore process. 

Alessandro