Some extra options

Jul 26, 2012 at 12:18 PM

Hello

Because there is not any documentation to this project, I will ask here.

1. Are there any options about zip compression? What should I do if I, for example, don't want to use zip or want to change some compression parameters?

2. I found a large *.bin file inside zip archive. I guess that this is a dump of RAM at working machine? Is there any option to disable creation of this file? As for me, it is not required (at least restore feature is not realised yet), but adding extra 8gb to zip realy slows the whole progress. 

3. What about recovery feature? Is there any progress there?

Coordinator
Jul 26, 2012 at 12:25 PM

Hi Samopt,

thanks for the feedback. Will take them into consideration for the future releases.

About recovery, it will be included with the next beta release. Consider that the backup contains all the relevant VM files, for the moment a simple recovery can be achieved by overwriting the existing files.   

Jul 26, 2012 at 6:58 PM

Don't think that simple overwriting of existing files will work. There are also permissions, what will be happen with them after overwriting? But restoring VMs at the same host is not so interesting to me. Main thing that I would like to have is a ability to restore VM at another HV host, any host. I.e. with different OS, not the same as at source host. For example, I make a backup of VM at Windows Server 2008 R2 and want to restore this VM an Hyper-V server 2008 R2. I found a wsh script, which can backup and RESTORE vms, but it does not restore VM on a system with different language (I've backed up VM on Windows Server 2008 RUSSIAN and tried to restore it on Hyper-V server 2008 ENGLISH and script fails). So it would be very good to take a look at this moment while backup and restore.

And what about sending logs via e-mail? Is this function planned?

Coordinator
Jul 26, 2012 at 11:00 PM

Overwriting the VHD files is a pretty straightforward well tested option. Of course we are not talking about a definitive solution, just a simple workaround.

Restore on a separate target machine is definitively one of the main scenarios that we are addressing with this tool.

About email notification: yes, it's already on the list :-)

Thanks,

Alessandro

Mar 29, 2013 at 8:30 PM
Email notification will be of course great. But I use BLAT command line email utility at this time instead. Not a big issue just added two extra lines to the batch from Cloudbase guys:
; getting the info whether any error was generated and putting it into myVar variable
FOR /F "delims=" %%A IN ('type lastlog_err.txt') DO SET myVar=%%A
; conditionally sending content of error log to my email (if not empty only)
IF DEFINED myVar c:\blat\full\blat.exe C:\HVBackup\lastlog_err.txt -to myemail@mydomain
; deleting the variable
myVar=

Cheers, Radek
Coordinator
Apr 3, 2013 at 4:44 PM
I just added support for providing a custom compression level on the command line. The value must be between 0 (no compression) and 9 (max compression).

Would you like to test it before publishing the binaries? :-)

Here's a build w the latest code: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/9060190/HyperVBackup_beta_20130403.zip

Example for disabling compression:

HVBackup -l VM1,VM2 -compressionlevel 0 -o \yourserver\backup

Thanks,

Alessandro
Apr 11, 2013 at 6:41 PM
Hi Alex!
Thanks for the great job!

The command you posted obove does not work for me.
I got an error message, that the parameter output is mandantory ...
I also tried this command, i don't get an error message, but as output the helpfile is displayed.
HVBackup -l VM1,VM2 -o g: -compressionlevel 0

Do you have any idea what the problem is?

Thanks a lot.
Coordinator
Apr 11, 2013 at 7:17 PM
Hi,

A user in a recent post reported that he had to use –output instead of -o, I'll investigate that as well.

Alessandro
Apr 11, 2013 at 7:29 PM
Thanks for the quick reply.

-output has the same error.

I also tried
HVBackup -l VM1,VM2 -compressionlevel 0 -output g: 
But no success.
Coordinator
Apr 11, 2013 at 7:33 PM
One detail, as it's not clear in the posts. The long name options require 2 hyphens, so it's "- - output" (w/o spaces).
Apr 12, 2013 at 5:03 AM
I think that the output path must look like g:\ (with \ in the end of string).
Probably, g: means the drive name, not a path.

alexp, how about VM restore features which I asked last summer? ;-)
Apr 19, 2013 at 4:24 PM
Thank you Alex for your help, it just works since 7 days.
Great Work!
Feb 19, 2015 at 3:55 PM
" HVbackup.exe -a -compressionlevel 9 -o x:\backup " I guess I need to do this, but it does not work is malfunctioning. Can you give examples of the script?