Backing up a VM takes it offline (and online again)

May 15, 2013 at 10:03 AM
Hi,

When making a backup of 2 VMs, I see in my Hyper-V Manager "Saving..." and the VM is stopped!

It restores the VM right away, but the VM is offline for 10-15 seconds while saving/restoring.

Is this meant to happen?

The Uptime is also reset - so the VM has definitely been offline.

I was hoping I could backup my VMs w/o taking them offline. That doesn't make much sense.

By hand I can take a snapshot and export this snapshot - but I need an automated solution. HVBackup seems like a great tool - but I need to keep my VMs online at all time! :)
May 15, 2013 at 10:14 AM
OK, after some more testing I see that it only takes my non-Windows VMs offline while preparing the snapshot for export.

The VMs I tested on was both FreeBSD.

Can I do something to make them NOT go offline while preparing the snapshot?

I'm thinking I need something in the guest OS to make this happen - like VMware has its "VMware Tools".
Jun 8, 2013 at 5:31 PM
I have this problem with my Windows-based VMs. I have the Hyper-V Integration Services installed on all our VMs but HyperVBackup still saves my VMs before backing them up. Simply not a workable solution for production VMs. Any thoughts on why this would happen?
Sep 3, 2013 at 9:51 PM
I'm not seeing this on my set-up, successfully backing up windows VM's without taking offline with the latest as of today
Sep 8, 2013 at 8:22 PM
I have sometimes that a Windows 2012 VM goes offline and stays offline. I also don't have an option to start the VM until the backup is completed when this happens.