This project is read-only.

consistenly getting a "The requested object does not exist" error when using backup

Aug 6, 2013 at 10:49 AM
Hi.

We have a Windows 2008 R2 Hyper-V bare-bone server, and I have now tested hvbackup. The VM's are located on a QNAP NAS running RAID5 and connected to the Hyper-V server with iSCSI.

First I created backup of a Windows 7 VM Client without any problems. prrox. 40GB in 1.5 Hours.

I then wanted to try to backup another Windows 7 VM Client, but now I consistantly get the "The requested object does not exist" error - also if I try to backup the machine that I first succeded with.

From reading a number of other discussions, I can see that other people are getting this error as well, but these discussions have turned to "clustering" as the source of the problem. My Hyper-V server is a stand-alone non-clustered server, but I am also getting this error.

I have then connected remotely to the Event log on the Hyper-V machine and there I can find the source of the errors as reported by VSS - but I have no idea when the errors mean, or what I need to do to fix them.

The commandline im using is: hvbackup -l APPL-TESTCLIENT2 -o G:\wmbackup

The output from the command line is:
Cloudbase HyperVBackup 1.0 beta1
Copyright (C) 2012 Cloudbase Solutions Srl
http://www.cloudbasesolutions.com

Initializing VSS

Starting snapshot set for:
Backup Using Child Partition Snapshot\APPL-TESTCLIENT2

Volumes:
F:\
Error: The requested object does not exist.
at Alphaleonis.Win32.Vss.VssBackupComponents.GetSnapshotProperties(Guid snapshotId)
at Cloudbase.Titan.HyperV.Backup.BackupManager.BackupSubset(IDictionary2 vmNamesMapSubset, String backupOutputPath, String backupOutputFormat) in c:\Devel\HyperVBackup\HyperVBackup\BackupManager.cs:line 166
at Cloudbase.Titan.HyperV.Backup.BackupManager.VSSBackup(IEnumerable
1 vmNames, VMNameType nameType, String backupOutputPath, String backupOutputFormat, Boolean singleSnapshot) in c:\Devel\HyperVBackup\HyperVBackup\BackupManager.cs:line 87
at Cloudbase.Titan.HyperV.Backup.CLI.Program.Main(String[] args) in c:\Devel\HyperVBackup\HyperVBackupApp\Program.cs:line 131

The errors from the Hyper-V application event log are:

First this error appears:

Log Name: Application
Source: VSS
Date: 06-08-2013 10:57:43
Event ID: 8193
Task Category: None
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: APPL-VIRTUAL01.applications.local
Description:
Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error calling routine Cannot find anymore diff area candidates for volume \?\Volume{3e2d8a24-7c8f-4f37-a53e-a8069c67a4dd}\ [0]. hr = 0x8000ffff, Catastrophic failure

Operation:
Automatically choosing a diff-area volume
Processing EndPrepareSnapshots

Context:
Volume Name: \?\Volume{3e2d8a24-7c8f-4f37-a53e-a8069c67a4dd}\
Execution Context: System Provider

Then this error appears:

Log Name: Application
Source: VSS
Date: 06-08-2013 10:57:43
Event ID: 12293
Task Category: None
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: APPL-VIRTUAL01.applications.local
Description:
Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Error calling a routine on a Shadow Copy Provider {b5946137-7b9f-4925-af80-51abd60b20d5}. Routine details EndPrepareSnapshots({491c00d9-4a2e-4eb8-9218-9f0a0879f0f6}) [hr = 0x80042302, A Volume Shadow Copy Service component encountered an unexpected error.
Check the Application event log for more information.
].

Operation:
Executing Asynchronous Operation

Context:
Current State: DoSnapshotSet

I hope someone can point me to a solution, so we can put HV Backup into production !

Regards,
Michael
Jul 25, 2014 at 12:22 AM
For me the problem turned out to be that I had upgraded a hard drive to one with the newer 4K bytes per sector specification, which the Volume Shadow Copy Service, (that HVBackup uses,) doesn't support on Windows Server 2008 R2.

See the article here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2510009