backup crashing but no error

Jun 3, 2014 at 3:37 AM
I have a daily scheduled task that runs hvbackup, to backup 4 vms. Most often, the backups are created successfully but once in a while (maybe every other week), the backup fails.

I have logged the output and see that the UI ends with 'Entry "xx.vhdx"......' and does not reach the point where it will say 'entry "xx.xml"' when it fails. so it fails while backing up the vhdx and does not reach backing up the virtual machine definition. no zip file is created as well. However, there is no error shown, no entry in the windows event log as well. it simply fails.

Is there any way I can see what causes the app to crash?
Oct 6, 2014 at 5:55 PM
I've been having similar issues. My current backup command running is...

set BCKPATH="\qnapmain\Backup\Hyper-V"

rem net use %BCKPATH% /user:<user> <password>

pushd %BCKPATH% && forfiles.exe -m *.zip -d -7 -c "cmd /c del @path" popd HVBackup.exe -f list.txt -o %BCKPATH% 1> lastlog_out.txt 2> lastlog_err.txt

Backs up my VM's I have specified in the list.txt file. However for reasons unknown it will randomly miss one, or two.....no errors or anything. Two of my windows VM's didn't backup this saturday. Seems to be limited to my Windows VM's, but again.....unlike you I have no errors.
Oct 21, 2014 at 10:29 PM
I had another random hyper-v guest not backup, 2 actually. This only happens to Windows guests, and the error in the event log for the random times it doesn't backup is Task Scheduler successfully completed blah blah blah , action "C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\cmd.exe" with return code 2.

This is after it has already backed up other hyper-v guests, and return code 2 is file not found. So why does it fail once a week but work every other day?? File not found for what? pushd? popd? forfiles?

I have tried to see if something is conflicting with my scheduled task, and I moved it to an earlier time. Instead of Saturdays appearing to be the failure day, its now Tuesdays.

I would be nice to hear if this is even in development anymore, are we wasting our time?