Restore won´t work

Jun 5, 2014 at 7:04 AM
Hi there,
im just testing HV Backup at the moment and yesterday i tried to do a restore. Unfortunately the restore won´t work.

I have tried to unzip the VM and do an import with the Hyper-V Manager. He gives me back an error which means i can not do a restore if im using another tool to backup the VM then the Hyper-V Manager itself.

Well i have not tried to import the .VHD itself, but i read somewhere that it should have worked like i tried it.

Hope that you can help me out with it.

Thanks
Jun 9, 2014 at 12:02 PM
Anyone?? I think its quite important to have a working way of restoring things i have backed up :).
Jun 17, 2014 at 8:13 PM
I can commit problems with restored machines. I will do some tests tomorrow and come back.
Jun 18, 2014 at 6:08 AM
Thanks, i appreciate that.
Jun 18, 2014 at 12:28 PM
OK, I'm able to confirm following with 2012 R2 host and latest hvbackup:
It's not possible to import VMs not supporting Snapshot but saved state backup. Which is for example XP or Ubuntu 12.04 etc. Some files seem to be missing because during import following popup appears:
[Window Title]
Error to stored status

[Main Instruction]
In conjunction with the saved state following errors were reported:
The file containing the saved state does not exist.
The log-file does not exist.
 The process can be continued only if these errors are corrected. If the stored states to which these errors are due to be cleared to continue?

[Stored Status delete] [Cancel]
If you choose [Stored Status delete] you'll be able to continue but import stops finally with:
[Window Title]
Import Wizard

[Main Instruction]
Error importing.

[Content]
The status of "VMNAME - Backup - (06/17/2014 - 02:37:36)" could not be changed.

The operation is not supported.

[Close]
This is evil. But I'm not able to confirm your problems. Please post the exact setup.
Jun 18, 2014 at 1:09 PM
Edited Jun 18, 2014 at 1:11 PM
Hi,
so i will give my best to describe my problem. Im doing the backup as described in the documentation. Afterwards i have tried to unzip it on the Hyper-V 2012 Server.

In the next step i am trying to import the VM with the Hyper-V-Manager. Please have a look at the following images:

http://s7.directupload.net/images/140618/tlys3sso.jpg

http://s7.directupload.net/images/140618/ekya6f7l.jpg

Maybe this helps.

By the way it make´s no difference from which folder im trying to start the recover.
Jun 18, 2014 at 3:49 PM
EN: It's the same problem. Bug description is here.

DE: Schäzken, les mal was ich geschrieben habe ;) Wir haben das gleiche Problem.
Auch ein Debian, denke ich, wird per "saved state backup" gesichert, nicht nur ein Ubuntu (=Debian).
Wie deine Bilder aussehen ist es einfach nur ein Hyper-V 2008 R1/R2. Dort waren die Fehlermeldungen nur kryptischer und teilweise auch irreführend.
Jun 23, 2014 at 6:47 AM
DE: Juten ;), ne ist Hyper-V 2012. Hauptsache jemand ist dabei den Bug da zu beheben, denn ein Backup bei dem das restore nicht funktioniert taugt nichts.
Jun 23, 2014 at 8:25 AM
Don't know. I reported the bug and contacted the author via pm with a short request for bug confirmation. Nothing heard until now. So, I can't say if it's a problem of us both or a general problem.
If you wish to accelerate things you'd better ad a 'me too' with a request for a quick fix in issues section.

Cheers
Jul 22, 2014 at 1:39 PM
Hi there, any progress on this? I have been in vacation for a while and haven´t had a look into this since then. If there is no one to fix this i have to search for another backup solution. I need one who can actually restore the things which it has backed
up ;). ---- Mit freundlichen Grüßen Torben Klassen Am 23.06.2014 um 10:25 schrieb PrismaComputer: